12 mei 2018
RE-ORG Lisboa International Workshop
While the number of collections and museums are growing exponentially, a 2010 ICCROM survey indicated that 60% of collections world-wide are at risk because of overcrowding and poor storage conditions. In this situation, museums can neither ensure the protection of their assets, nor use them for research or education. Furthermore, in case of emergency, no effective response can be implemented. In order to assist museums worldwide to address this situation, ICCROM and UNESCO developed RE-ORG, a step-by-step methodology now available on ICCROM website (see https://www.iccrom.org/themes/preventive-conservation/re-org/resources). The focus of RE-ORG is on making improvements to existing storage areas, not on planning and building new facilities.
This two-week workshop will make course participants familiar with the RE-ORG methodology. Working in a team in a real museum context, participants will practice every step, from preparation to condition assessment, planning and implementation of the storage re-organization project. This includes considering the building and space, collections type and vulnerability, storage furniture and equipment, and collections management procedures. At course end, we will together develop ideas to share the project outcomes with the local community. During the workshop, there will be opportunities given for participants to work on a RE-ORG project for their own museums.
Twenty-five percent (25%) of the workshop consists of lectures and exercises. The rest of the time is dedicated to practical implementation of the methodology in the central storage area of the Museum of Lisbon. Special attention will be given to teamwork and communication skills to encourage participative processes, knowledge sharing and community involvement. Three months after the workshop, participants are invited to send to ICCROM their own RE-ORG project plans for advice and validation. The course working language is English. Portuguese-speaking participants will have opportunity to work in their own language.
1. Do you work for a museum that is in need of a storage reorganization project?
2. Are you a director, conservator, collections manager, technician, curator, registrar, archivist, or external professional working for a museum?
3. Is there at least one colleague in your museum/institution who could team with you after the workshop to prepare and implement your museum RE-ORG project?
4. Is your museum committed to the project?
If you answered 'YES' to all the above questions, you can apply!
For international participants:
The tuition fee is 500 Euro. Accommodation and meals (lunches and coffee breaks) are covered by the Museum of Lisbon. Participants will be responsible for their round trip travel costs to and from Lisbon, Portugal. A number of travel grants are available.
For local participants:
The tuition fee is 100 Euro. Meals (lunches and coffee breaks) are covered by the Museum of Lisbon.
By June 1, 2018, candidates must submit to email@example.com the following documents:
1. Application form - https://www.iccrom.org/sites/default/files/RE-ORG%20Lisboa_Application%2...
2. A letter of interest from your museum/ institution where you will implement your storage reorganization project after the workshop
3. A powerpoint illustrating the problems in your storage area with a brief description of the situation - https://www.iccrom.org/sites/default/files/Illustrating%20a%20Museum.pptx
4. The self-assessment tool for museum storage duly filled in - https://www.iccrom.org/sites/default/files/EN_SelfEvaluation_Nov2017.pdf